TMD often causes severe pain and discomfort. It can be temporary or last many years. It might affect one or both sides of your face. More women than men have it, and it’s most common among people between the ages of 20 and 40.
Common symptoms include:
- Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
- Problems when you try to open your mouth wideJaws that get “stuck” or “lock” in the open- or closed-mouth position
- Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth or chew. This may or may not be painful.
- A tired feeling in your face
- Trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite — as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
- Swelling on the side of your face
- You may also have toothaches, headaches, neck aches, dizziness,earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (Source: WebMD).
There are a variety of treatments for TMJ. Family Dental Care of Milford can put together a plan for correcting your TMJ.
For more information on your oral health, call us at 603-673-3332.